A small British diplomatic team sent to Benghazi in eastern Libya to initiate contacts with the rebel-backed opposition, and that "experienced difficulties" there, have now left the county, UK Foreign Secretary William Hague said on Sunday.
"We intend, in consultation with the opposition, to send a further team to strengthen our dialogue in due course. This diplomatic effort is part of the UK's wider work on Libya, including our ongoing humanitarian support," he said in a statement.RELATED:
'Rebels in Libya capture British special forces'
Gaddafi recaptures coastal cities, cuts import tarrifs
Gaddafi: Why is no one helping me fight terror in Libya?
"We continue to press for Gaddafi to step down and we will work with the
international community to support the legitimate ambitions of the
Libyan people," he added.
A rebel spokesman in Benghazi also said the team, which was reported to
have included members British special forces, had left Libya.
The Sunday Times
had earlier reported that Libyan rebels had captured a British special
forces unit in the east after a secret diplomatic mission to make
contact with opposition leaders backfired.
"They (the rebel army)
did capture some British special forces. They could not ascertain if
they were friends or foes. For our safety we are holding them and we
expect this situation to be resolved soon," said the source in
Please LIKE our Facebook page - it makes us stronger: