Gaza's Hamas rulers said on Wednesday that Egypt was limiting the number of people allowed to enter from Gaza, undermining a move announced last week to ease the blockade of the enclave imposed by Israel.
Cairo expanded the opening hours of the Rafah frontier crossing between Gaza and Egypt on Saturday, eroding the blockade of Gaza that Israel says it needs to prevent Hamas from obtaining arms.
RELATED:Gov’t worries after Cairo plans to open Rafah crossing
But border officials of Hamas, the Islamist group that runs the Gaza Strip, said the number of travelers who have crossed into Egypt at Rafah since the new procedures were announced had fallen dramatically over the past two days.
They said Egyptian officials had told Hamas on Tuesday that a maximum of 350 Gaza residents would be granted entry each day, dampening Palestinian hopes that passage would be unlimited.
Following the joy that has swept most of our people, movement at the
crossing yesterday and today was disappointing," a Hamas official said.
A senior Egyptian security official who spoke to Reuters denied any such
quota had been imposed at Rafah, the only Gaza border crossing not
controlled by Israel.
Hamas border officials said 565 Gaza residents had crossed into Egypt at
Rafah on Saturday, then 404 on Sunday and 631 on Monday. But the number
dropped to 227 on Tuesday and fewer than 100 by late afternoon on
Wednesday, they said.
Under the new regulations Egypt announced last Wednesday, Rafah will
operate six days a week instead of five and remain open two hours longer
Egypt, which made peace with Israel in 1979 but whose interim military
rulers want to improve ties with the Palestinians, allowed nearly 300
Gazans to enter in the first hour alone after the operating period was
Palestinians have welcomed Egypt's decision to end a visa requirement
for women, minors and men over the age of 40 from the Gaza Strip.
But in what Hamas described as a step backward, Egyptian authorities
have demanded in advance the names of any travellers between the ages of
18 and 40 and have turned back dozens of people at the border.
The Egyptian security official said Egypt needed time to look into Hamas demands to remove people from a no-entry list.
"We have told them we cannot accept the reinstatement of restrictions," a
Hamas official who attended Tuesday's meeting with Egyptian officials
Hamas Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh on Tuesday encouraged Palestinians
the recently opened Rafah border crossing with Egypt to respect
Egyptian authorities and security forces by not engaging in any
activities that could potentially threaten newly eased restrictions on
the crossing, Al Jazeera reported.
Haniyeh, speaking at the dedication ceremony for a monument in Gaza to
the nine Turks who were killed last year when IDF forces intercepted the
, said "We assure
the authorities in Egpyt that your security is our security, and your
stability is our stability in helping remove the siege [on Gaza] and
liberate the land and restore our rights."
Relevant to your professional network? Please share on Linkedin
Think others should know about this? Please share