Security forces in Egypt were on high alert Saturday after protesters tried to break into Israel's embassy in Cairo again this morning after the previous night's attack.RELATED:PM: I am glad we avoided danger in embassy attack
Order was restored to the area Saturday morning, although small groups still lingered near the embassy, according to Al Jazeera.
The Egyptian Health Ministry has said that 1,049 people were injured in the attack, and three people were killed.
Egypt's ruling military council rejected Prime Minister Essam Sharaf's offer to resign for failure to handle the demonstration efficiently, the Arabic television channel Al Arabiya reported.
One news website earlier in the day had suggested he might offer his resignation over the violence that led to the Israeli ambassador flying out of Cairo to Israel.
Israel's ambassador to Egypt and senior staff were evacuated on Saturday
following the mass demonstration in Cairo Friday night in which hundreds
of Egyptians stormed the building housing Israel's mission and threw
embassy documents and its national flag from windows.
A diplomat was left behind to maintain the embassy, an Israeli official
said. The diplomat, identified as the consul for state affairs and
Ambassador Yitzhak Levanon's deputy, will remain in Egypt while Israel
weighs a response to the overnight demonstrations, the official said.