Court convicts Palestinian of mass stabbing in Tel Aviv

According to plea deal, terrorist is likely to receive 28 years in prison for the attack.

July 7, 2015 14:07
1 minute read.
Tel Aviv terror attack

Footage of Tel Aviv terror attack. (photo credit: CHANNEL 10)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The Tel Aviv District Court on Tuesday convicted Hassan Matruch of Tulkarm as part of a plea bargain relating to his stabbing attack in Tel Aviv in January.

Matruch is likely to receive 28 years in prison for the attack, according to the plea deal.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

He stabbed 12 passengers on a Dan No. 40 bus on January 21.

Following the attack, the IDF, guided by the Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency), raided three homes in Samaria belonging to Matruch’s family.
Dramatic video of Tel Aviv terrorist pursuing victims as he flees bus

Nine other passengers were treated for shock.

Matruch was taken into custody the day after the attack.

Prisons Services officers, who happened to be in a vehicle behind the bus when Matruch attacked, shot him in the leg and arrested him.

During initial questioning, Matruch said he had purchased a large knife in Tulkarm, crossed the Green Line illegally, and carried out the attack.

He said he was motivated by last summer’s conflict in the Gaza Strip, unrest on the Temple Mount, and watching extremist Islamist content that glorified “the reaching of heaven,” the Shin Bet said.

Matruch was taken to the hospital for treatment after his arrest.

The attack near the Ma’ariv junction began with Matruch stabbing bus driver Herzl Biton, 62, repeatedly in the upper body.

The bus began swerving in its lane as Biton, who had been on the job for more than two decades, fought with the terrorist.

The lurching bus caught the attention of officers from the Prisons Service’s Nahshon Unit, who were driving behind the bus on their way to the Tel Aviv courthouse to pick up detainees. When the officers saw the bus come to a stop and passengers fleeing, they chased the terrorist as he fled through parking lots and alleyways toward Hamasger Street.

One of the officers shot Matruch in the leg, and they placed him under arrest.

Moments after the attack Biton, who suffered abdominal and internal injuries, called a colleague from the Dan Bus Cooperative to tell him he feared for his life and if he died, to take care of his children.

Related Content

August 17, 2018
Cyprus serving as Gaza’s port still in early stages