Court urges state to prevent ‘forced transfer’ of Palestinian-Beduin village

On-going dispute over the future of the unrecognized village of Dkeika marks further escalation in the relations between Israel's Beduin community and the authorities.

By
July 19, 2017 09:44
2 minute read.
A VIEW of Umm Al-Hiran, the Beduin village in the southern Negev Desert demolished by police last we

A VIEW of Umm Al-Hiran, the Beduin village in the southern Negev Desert demolished by police. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

The High Court of Justice asked the state to explain within 90 days why it has failed to authorize the Palestinian-Beduin herding village of Dkeika, located in the South Hebron Hills region of the West Bank.

In an injunction issued Tuesday the court questioned why the state hasn’t offered Dkeika residents any administrative solution that would “allow them to live on their land and would prevent a humanitarian disaster and the forced transfer of its residents.”

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The High Court of Justice published the injunction in response to a petition by the Left-wing NGO 'Rabbis for Human Rights' against IDF plans to demolish the village by March 2018. Its 140 modular structures are located very close to the Green Line.

The Civil Administration has offered to relocate the 300 Dkeika residents to the Palestinian-Beduin village of Hmedia, situated two kilometers away.

The three judges that heard arguments on the case — Neal Hendel, Daphne Barak Erez and Uri Shaham — took issue with the Civil Administration’s rejection of a master plan that would have allowed Dkeika to be legalized in its current location.

“Why hasn’t the [Higher Planning Council for Judea and Samaria] rescinded its rejection on July 13, 2013 of a [master] plan for the village of Dkeika?” the judges asked in their injunction.

“Why hasn’t the planning council given detailed and professional instructions to the petitioners on how they can amend the [master] plan [so that it is suitable] for its current location?” the judges asked.


But in spite of the language in the injunction that appeared to favor Rabbis for Human Rights, the court told the state it needed to comply “only if it wished.”

In a previous statement to the court, the state said it would be difficult to legalize Dkeika because a section of the village could be located on land that is part of the route of the security barrier. It was also raised the concern that a portion of the village could be located on land that is part of sovereign Israel.

A hearing on the matter was held in November of last year, at which time the court had ordered the state and the Dkeika residents to find a way to resolve the issue between them.

But when no such solution was found, the matter was returned to the courts.

Tuesday’s injunction was the latest step in the long standing legal battles that date back more than 12 years.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Italy's Interior Minister Matteo Salvini looks on during a news conference in Rome, Italy, on June 2
December 11, 2018
Italy's minister: 'Hezbollah’s tunnels not meant for shopping sprees'

By HERB KEINON