Erekat: Recent outbreak in violence reminiscent of second intifada's early days

Palestinian official says that he is in contact with the international community discussing ways to prevent an escalation in violence and a possible ground incursion by Israeli forces.

By YASSER OKBI/ MAARIV HASHAVUA, JPOST.COM STAFF
October 4, 2015 11:21
2 minute read.
Saeb Erekat

Saeb Erekat. (photo credit: MARC ISRAEL SELLEM/THE JERUSALEM POST)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

PLO Secretary-General Saeb Erekat said Sunday that the recent outbreak in violence in the West Bank and Jerusalem was ominously reminiscent of the early days of the second intifida, adding that the Palestinian Authority was in discussions with world leaders on  how to best contain the escalating violence snowballing into a bigger conflict between Israelis and Palestinians.

Speaking to Palestinian Radio Sunday morning,  Erekat said, "These events are reminiscent of September 2000... Experience shows us that Israel cannot prevent Palestinian freedom by forceful measures," Erekat said.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The senior Palestinian official added that "we are in touch with leaders in the Arab world and International community in order  to prevent Israel from expanding into a greater ground incursion."

Erekat said that Palestinian leadership was waiting for Palestinian Authority President  Mahmoud Abbas to return back to the West Bank in order to implement "what (he) declared in his speech" to the UN.
Abbas threatens to stop abiding by Oslo Accords in UN speech

Earlier this week, Abbas dropped his promised bombshell at the UN General Assembly when he threatened to stop abiding by the Oslo Accords, which have governed the relations and security cooperation between Israel and the Palestinians for more than two decades.

“Israel has destroyed the foundations upon which the political and security agreements are based,” Abbas said.

“We therefore declare that we cannot continue to be bound by these agreements and that Israel must assume all its responsibilities as an occupying power, because the status quo cannot continue," the PA president added.



Erekat's comments came in the wake of recent violence that has raised tensions between Palestinians and Israelis, the last incident coming Sunday morning when an Israeli teenager was stabbed at a gas station near the Old City.
Video of attack in Jerusalem

As a result, the Israeli government took steps to restrict access to the Old City in Jerusalem to only "residents, tourists, business owners and students."

A police spokeswoman said the victim was taken to hospital in moderate condition and that police"saw the terrorist holding a knife, shot and neutralized him."

Sunday's attack comes less than 12 hours after a Palestinian terrorist murdered two Jewish men and wounded a mother and her son in the Old City of Jerusalem in a stabbing and shooting spree Saturday night. The suspect was shot dead following the attack.

On Thursday night, a Palestinian gunman shot dead two Israeli parents in a shooting attack on their vehicle in Samaria, between Elon Moreh and Itamar. Four of their young children survived the attack without injury and were rescued by emergency responders from the bullet-ridden vehicle.

Reuters, Daniel K. Eisenbud, Lahav Harkov ,Yaakov Lappin, Danielle Ziri and Tovah Lazaroff contributed to this report.






Related Content

Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman convenes with IDF officers in the Gaza region
July 20, 2018
Liberman: Hamas is forcing Israel into a larger Gaza war than 2014

By TOVAH LAZAROFF