ISIS-affiliated terror group takes credit for Gaza rocket attack

No injuries were reported in the aftermath of the attack.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
July 2, 2016 19:49
1 minute read.
Damage

Damage caused to building in Sderot by rocket.. (photo credit: POLICE SPOKESPERSON'S UNIT)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

A militant jihadist organization claiming to be affiliated with the so-called Islamic State took responsibility Saturday for a rocket attack that hit a public building in the southern Israeli town of Sderot the previous evening.

A statement released by "Aknaf Beit al-Makdis," a Gaza based terror organization committed to "jihad against Jews, the enemy of God," claimed responsibility for the attack which severely damaged an empty preschool. The group added that the weapon was "168 milometer category" rocket and self-constructed.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


No injuries were reported in the aftermath of the attack.



In response, the IAF struck four targets in the Gaza Strip that served as terrorist infrastructure for Hamas in the northern and central areas of the coastal enclave. 


"The IDF will continue to act strongly against any terror force which targets Israel and its citizens, in order to keep the south safe," the IDF said in a statement issued by the Spokesperson Unit.

"We hold Hamas responsible," the IDF said. "Hamas, [as a governing body], will be held responsible for all that occur  within its borders.'

Earlier on Friday, The IDF placed greater Hebron under general closure in an effort to disrupt a series of deadly terror attacks on Israelis over the course 48 hours. Throughout its duration, only humanitarian transit will be allowed out of the city.



Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

IDF discovers the third tunnel since the announcement of Operation Northern Shield from Lebanon.
December 19, 2018
IDF: Hezbollah closing off attack tunnels

By ANNA AHRONHEIM