Israeli police temporarily close off Temple Mount

Two Arab assailants arrested for throwing rock at Jewish visitors, lightly wounding 1.

June 11, 2017 16:17
A Border Police officer overlooks Temple Mount and the Western Wall

A Border Police officer overlooks Temple Mount and the Western Wall. (photo credit: MARC ISRAEL SELLEM)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


The Temple Mount was temporarily closed off to Muslims on Sunday morning after a rock was thrown by an Arab assailant at a Jewish group visiting the contested holy site, lightly wounding one man.

According to police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld, the incident took place shortly after 9 a.m., as the group toured the area where tens of thousands of Muslims have converged during Ramadan.

“One stone was thrown at a group of tourists, lightly wounding one man, and as a result of that, the entrances to the Temple Mount were closed to Muslims for roughly 20 minutes in order to search for the suspects who were behind the incident,” said police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld.

“After police arrested two people based on the investigation that took place, it was then reopened again to all visitors.”

Rosenfeld said the two unidentified suspects were questioned and arraigned at Jerusalem Magistrate’s Court shortly after their arrests.

Related Content

Tzipi Hotovely speaks at the Jerusalem Post annual conference in New York
June 17, 2019
Hotovely: Time to apply Israeli law in Area C


Cookie Settings