PA agrees to cooperate in manhunt for Tel Aviv shooting suspect, says official

PA security official: "He's an Israeli citizen and if we capture him we will hand him over to the Israeli authorities,"

By
January 7, 2016 18:46
1 minute read.
palestinian police

Palestinian Authority police officers stand guard in the West Bank [File]. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Israel has asked the Palestinian Authority security forces to help find Nashat Milhem – wanted for the murder of three people in a shooting spree in Tel Aviv last Friday – a Palestinian security official in Ramallah said on Thursday.

The confirmation came as the manhunt for Milhem reached its seventh day, and police and the Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) moved their search from the Tel Aviv area to Wadi Ara and the northern Triangle area, with searches focused for the second straight day largely on the village of Baka al-Gharbiya.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The more time goes by the more evident it becomes that Milhem is receiving assistance from someone.

The official said that the Israeli request was received earlier this week. He said it remains unclear whether the suspect was hiding in PA-controlled territories.

“He’s an Israeli citizen and if we capture him we will hand him over to the Israeli authorities,” the official said. “We won’t allow our territories to become safe havens for criminals.”

Police and security forces are no longer looking for Milhem in the Tel Aviv area, though they remain on high alert in the city, largely to help provide a sense of security for residents.

On Thursday, the Haifa Magistrate’s Court extended by three days the remand of Milhem’s father, Muhammad, a suspected accomplice in the killings. Muhammad is one of a series of relatives and associates of Nashat’s arrested by the Shin Bet since the attack, on suspicion of being involved or of assisting Nashat.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


Also Thursday, President Reuven Rivlin paid condolence visits to the families of Alon Bakal and Shimon Ruime in Karmiel and Ofakim. Both were murdered in the Friday attack along with Amin Shaaban, a taxi driver from Lod.

During his visit with the Ruime family, Rivlin said, “All of the people of Israel mourn with you,” and vowed the country will not give in to terrorism. •

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

hamas
October 17, 2018
Giving up on victory before renewed war with Hamas has begun

By TOVAH LAZAROFF