Police: Terror alert in south removed after suspect located

Police ask public to exercise caution and to report suspicious persons to police.

January 11, 2016 10:09

Roadblock.. (photo credit: MARC ISRAEL SELLEM)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A terror attack alert Monday morning prompted security forces to set up roadblocks and heighten security across the Lachish region in southern Israel, according to a statement by Israel police.

The alert was issued in the municipality of Sderot and its surrounding areas.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Border Police officers reinforced border crossings in the region as part of the security effort.

Police gave no further details of the warning by mid morning, but called on the public to exercise caution and to report suspicious persons to police.

A suspect was later located by authorities and taken in for investigation. Initial findings determined that the terrorist suspected of having intentions to carry out an attack did not make her way into Israel.

The alert was removed and forces returned to normal operations.

Related Content

A Palestinian man inspects a destroyed Islamic Jihad military base
July 15, 2018
‘Give peace a chance,’ U.N. envoy tells Palestinians