Police foiled alleged plan to carry out stabbing attack in Jerusalem

Hebron resident was carrying knife and tear gas, police say.

August 15, 2018 13:42
1 minute read.
police jerusalem

Police officers stand guard at an entrance to Al-Aksa mosque on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem's Old City. (photo credit: REUTERS)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


Jerusalem District Police foiled a would-be attacker’s plans to stab citizens and security officials last week, security authorities said on Wednesday.

During routine operational activity in the Old City on August 8, police officers noticed a suspicious man and detained him, a police spokesman said.

In a preliminary interrogation, the suspect, a 26-year-old Hebron resident, claimed he had entered Israel in order to pray.
Police investigators suspected the man was hiding something, and after questioning his intentions, decided to transfer the investigation to the central unit.

As the investigation progressed under a gag order during the last few days, police said they used a number of interrogation methods that exposed the suspect’s true intentions. He allegedly entered Israel illegally armed with a knife and a tear gas canister in the hope of stabbing civilians and security forces in Jerusalem.

The tear gas canister from a thrwarted terror attack (Credit: Israel Police)

The court extended the suspect’s remand until August 20 in order to complete the investigation.

“There no doubt that the arrest of the suspect and exposure of his intentions prevented an attempt to carry out a terror attack in the Jerusalem area which could have had a severe outcome,” police said on Wednesday morning.

The knife from a thrwarted terror attack (Credit: Israel Police)

"The efforts to locate, prevent and thwart attempts by terrorists and terrorist organizations to carry out attacks are ongoing all the time in Jerusalem and at the crossings surrounding Jerusalem, and the arrest of the suspect is a central and added element to the smart and focused operational activity that is being carried out all the time," the police added.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Asael Shabo
July 23, 2019
Terror victim to terrorists: Violence is not going to help - watch


Cookie Settings