Prisoner convicted of 2nd Intifada murder suddenly released following new evidence

In an unexpected move, the IDF announced that the convict was released due to the emergence of new evidence. Haitham Muari's release comes after 16 years behind bars.

March 29, 2017 21:29
1 minute read.
A right-wing Israeli woman blows a whistle in an attempt to disturb a meeting of [Prime Minister Ehu

A right-wing Israeli woman blows a whistle in an attempt to disturb a meeting of [Prime Minister Ehud Barak's cabinet outside the Prime Minister's offices] in Jerusalem October 22, 2000. She holds a poster depicting a picture of a Palestinian holding up his hands covered in blood while standing in t. (photo credit: REUTERS)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


One of a group of Palestinians convicted in the second intifada Ramallah lynching of two IDF soldiers in October 2000 was abruptly released on Wednesday, after the IDF explained that new evidence had arisen.

Haitham Muari was convicted in 2004 of the 2000 murder of one of the two victims, Sgt.- Maj. Yosef Avrahami, and sentenced to life in prison.

Yet on Wednesday, the IDF said that Muari had raised new evidence that put into question for the first time whether he had been misidentified and lumped in with a group of Palestinians who had attacked the soldiers, but not participated in their later murder.

The Jerusalem Post has learned that the new identification issue may have arisen after Muari learned that security forces at the time had released others in similar circumstances as his, as having been involved in beating, but not killing, the soldiers.

Muari’s conviction was voided and he cut a plea bargain admitting to beating the soldiers and failing to prevent other crimes, and was immediately released based on time already served.

In October 2000, IDF reservists Yosef Avrahami, 38, from Petah Tikva, and Cpl. Vadim Nurzhits, 35, from Or Akiva, accidentally entered Ramallah. Palestine Authority policemen took them to the local police station, where they were murdered.

The shocking turn-around marks an extremely rare instance in which one of the highest profile murder cases in the state’s history has suddenly led effectively to the acquittal of a convict who served 16 years in prison for a crime it now appears he did not commit.

The rest of the convicted murderers will continue to serve their life sentences.

The horrific photos of Aziz Salha, who is still serving a life sentence for the murders until he was released in the 2011 Gilad Schalit prisoner exchange, throwing his arms and hands up, seen through a window with blood dripping from his hands, went viral worldwide and supported Israel’s argument that it was fighting barbaric terrorism of the worst kind.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

July 16, 2019
Hamas prisoner dies in his cell in Israel


Cookie Settings