Settlers to Netanyahu: Prevent next terror attack with new security plan

The proposed security plan would cost NIS 3 billion.

By
October 19, 2017 00:33
1 minute read.
Kiryat Arba Council head Malahi Levinger, Beit Aryeh Council head Avi Naim, Samaria Regional Council

Kiryat Arba Council head Malahi Levinger, Beit Aryeh Council head Avi Naim, Samaria Regional Council head Yossi Dagan, Hadas Mizrahi and Itzhik Abutbul in front of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's Jerusalem home.. (photo credit: TOVAH LAZAROFF)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu must endorse and fund a new security plan for West Bank roads and communities, settlers and terrorism victims said Wednesday as they staged a small protest in Jerusalem.

“I am determined to prevent the next terrorist attack,” said Hadas Mizrahi, whose husband Baruch was killed in 2014 just before Passover when a Palestinian terrorist shot at his car with an automatic weapon on Route 35 near the Tarkumiya checkpoint.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


Hadas and four of the family’s five children also were in the vehicle and survived the attack. They had been on their way to her parents’ home in Kiryat Arba to celebrate the Passover seder.

She was one of a number of terrorism victims who, along with Samaria Regional Council head Yossi Dagan and the council heads of Eli, Kiryat Arba and Beit Aryeh, held a small press conference outside the Prime Minister’s Residence.
Hadas Mizrahi calls on Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to endorse and fund a new security plan for West Bank roads, October 18, 2017. (Tovah Lazaroff)

“If no solution is found, we will return and sleep on the sidewalk until this government responds,” said Dagan.

They have endorsed a comprehensive NIS 3 billion plan by Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman that calls for bypass roads, better lighting, expanded cellular coverage and smart fences to protect settlements and protect attacks on the roads.

At a press conference at the construction site for the new Amihai settlement on Wednesday Liberman said the terrorists know which areas are without cellular coverage and the weak points in road security and plan their attacks accordingly.

The plan, he said, is in the final stages of development and likely will be completed in November. He hopes to start funding it from the 2019 budget.

But Dagan and the terrorism victims said there is no reason to wait to move forward on some of the elements, particularly better cellular coverage and bypass roads.

“Wake up. Enough with the terrorist attacks, we can’t handle this any more,” said Mizrahi.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

netanyahu liberman jerusalem attack
October 18, 2018
In responding to the Gaza predicament, who will inspire Netanyahu?

By HERB KEINON