Third Jew arrested on Temple Mount for insulting Prophet Muhammad

Arab bus driver claims he was attacked by 2 Israeli nationalists on Monday while on Jerusalem route.

July 28, 2015 20:04
2 minute read.
Border Police officers patrol Temple Mount area

Border Police officers patrol Temple Mount. (photo credit: REUTERS)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Amid heightened hostility on the Temple Mount following Arab rioting on Tisha Be’av and the arrests of two Jews who shouted “Muhammad is a pig,” a third man was arrested on Tuesday for incitement after repeating the religious slur.

According to police, the unidentified 26-year-old Jewish suspect was apprehended in the morning following a brief chase when he attempted to flee the scene just outside the Temple Mount. The man was then placed under arrest and arraigned at Jerusalem Magistrate’s Court.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

Tuesday’s arrest marks the third time since last Thursday that a Jewish visitor at the contested holy site insulted the Muslim prophet.
Youth arrested after yelling, 'Muhammad is a pig' near Temple Mount‏

On Monday morning, an unidentified man was arrested after police reviewed video footage from Sunday showing him shout “Muhammad is a pig” outside the gates of the Temple Mount before fleeing the site.

On Friday, Avia Morris, 20, from the West Bank’s Binyamin region, was also arrested for making the slur a day earlier after a Muslim mob shouted anti-Semitic insults at her and a group of accompanying Jewish visitors.
Avia Morris being heckled by Muslim women in the Old City of Jerusalem

Despite the arrests of the three Jewish suspects for “disturbing the public order,” none of the Arab provocateurs have been arrested for their inflammatory rhetoric.

Following her release, Morris stated that despite being surrounded by police, the officers did nothing as the Arab mob continued to shout threats and encroach on her group.

“The police ignored our requests and said if we were to say one word they would take us down from the Mount and arrest us,” she said. “They did not stop [the Arab mob’s] attempts to hurt our feelings and insult Judaism.”

“Only after we began to respond, and I said ‘Muhammad is a pig,’ [did] the police distance them from us,” she said. “Suddenly they were able to keep them at bay.”

The Palestinian Authority called on Monday for an Arab League meeting in Cairo next week to discuss the heated situation on the Temple Mount.

Shortly after Tuesday’s arrest, police said Arab youths hurled rocks at Jewish vehicles near the Mount of Olives, shattering one of the cars’ windshields. No one was wounded in the attack and no arrests were made.

Meanwhile, an Arab Egged bus driver said he was attacked in Jerusalem on Monday night by two Jews who he claimed sprayed pepper spray in his eyes, beat him and tied him to the bus driver’s seat, the International Middle East Media Center reported.

Muhammad Barakat, 38, of east Jerusalem, told IMEMC that the two suspects boarded the bus, refused to pay, and remained seated for 45 minutes until it reached its final destination at the Ma’alot Dafna neighborhood.

After the attack, Barakat told the Wadi Hilweh Information Center in Silwan that police refused to take his statement, and instructed him to go to his local precinct to file a formal complaint.

Police spokeswoman Luba Samri said on Tuesday that she was unaware of a complaint regarding the incident.

Related Content

August 17, 2018
Cyprus serving as Gaza’s port still in early stages