US walks back criticism of Israel security response to terror wave

US State Department spokesman reiterates Washington's longstanding position on Israel's right to self-defense.

By
October 15, 2015 22:15
2 minute read.
Israeli security forces stand guard in front of the Damascus Gate near the Old City of Jerusalem

Israeli security forces stand guard in front of the Damascus Gate near the Old City of Jerusalem. (photo credit: AFP PHOTO)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

WASHINGTON -- Israel has a right to defend itself and the United States has not determined its law enforcement has used "excessive force" against Palestinians amid the recent wave of violence sweeping the country, State Department spokesman John Kirby said on Thursday.

Kirby's comments came one day after he said the State Department had seen credible reports of the use of such force.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.
State Department: we’ve certainly seen some reports of excessive use of force

"We have never accused Israeli security forces with excessive force with respect to these terrorist attacks," Kirby clarified, reiterating Washington's longstanding position that Israel has a right and responsibility to defend its citizens.

The spokesman also said the US does not believe Israeli policy on the Temple Mount (Haram al-Sharif) has changed and welcomes Israel's continuation of the status quo. The Palestinian Authority continues to question Israel's designs on the holy site, where non-Muslims are not currently allowed to formally pray.

Earlier in the day at Indiana University, US Secretary of State John Kerry said he condemned the violence, which has claimed the lives of 8 Israelis, over 30 Palestinians and wounded over 80 others over the last 15 days.

"It is important that we all remain deeply concerned about this recent violence," Kerry said. "We strongly condemn the terrorist attacks against innocent civilians and there is absolutely no justification for these reprehensible attacks. We will continue to support Israel's right to defend its existence."

"It is critically important though that calm be restored as soon as possible, and we the administration will continue to stress the importance, politically and privately, of preventing inflammatory rhetoric, accusations or actions that could lead to violence," he added.

Kerry links wave of terrorism in Israel to settlement activity

Also on Thursday at a press conference in Jerusalem, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu directly criticized comments Kerry made earlier in the week. At an event at Harvard University, the top US diplomat said that Palestinian frustration over a "massive increase in settlements" had preceded the violence, suggesting to some he was rationalizing the attacks.

The frustration, Netanyahu said, is rooted in a fundamental Palestinian rejection of a Jewish presence in historic Palestine. "They don't want us here," he said.

"This is not a result of a massive wave of settlements," Netanyahu said, "because there's not been a massive wave of settlements."

Kirby responded to the back and forth on Thursday.

Kerry "never said that settlements were to blame for the current violence," Kirby told The Jerusalem Post, adding: "There is no excuse for terrorism."

Related Content

Antonio Guterres‏
August 18, 2018
U.N. chief suggests options for 'improved Palestinian protection'

By REUTERS