Danish director vows public silence after Nazi remarks

'Melancholia' director Lars Von Trier says he will not make any more public statements or interviews after getting expelled from Cannes for Nazi jibe.

By REUTERS
October 5, 2011 19:03
1 minute read.
Director Lars Von Trier

Director Lars Von Trier. (photo credit: Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

LONDON - Danish director Las Von Trier said on Wednesday he would not make any more public statements or give interviews after police questioned him in connection with comments in May that led to his shock expulsion from the Cannes film festival.

Trier was expelled from Cannes, where he had previously won the top Palme d'Or award, following a press conference at which he jokingly called himself a Nazi and Hitler sympathizer.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Director apologizes for Hitler comments at Cannes
Von Trier expelled from Cannes festival for Nazi jibe

Trier said that police from the North Zealand region of Denmark questioned him about charges made by prosecutors in Grasse, France, in August, which themselves related to the Cannes controversy.

In a statement, the provocative, award-winning director of films including "Breaking the Waves," "Dancer in the Dark," "Antichrist" and "Melancholia" said the charges stemmed from "a possible violation of prohibition in French law against justification of war crimes."

His remarks angered Jewish groups and Cannes organizers, although many festival goers said the punishment was unduly harsh on a director who was apparently speaking in jest and in English, not his first language.

The 55-year-old apologized, but the ban remained.

"Due to these serious accusations I have realized that I do not possess the skills to express myself unequivocally and I have therefore decided from this day forth to refrain from all public statements and interviews."

Related Content

Sarah Silverman
August 26, 2014
Jewish women take home gold at 2014 Emmys

By JTA