150 demonstrate against racist riot in Malha Mall last week

March 28, 2012 23:03
1 minute read.


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

More than 150 people braved an unseasonably cold spring night for an anti-racism rally on Wednesday outside the Malha mall, to express their disgust at a riot last week when Betar Jerusalem soccer fans attacked Arab cleaners. Last Monday after a game, more than 300 fans poured into the food court at the mall and chanted “death to Arabs!” and “Muhammed is dead!” and attacked a number of cleaners.

“We won’t allow people who suffered pogroms perpetrate pogroms on another nation,” Deputy Mayor Pepe Alalu (Meretz) told the crowd.

“As soon as I heard I was horrified,” City Councilor Laura Wharton, also from Meretz, told The Jerusalem Post. “It was clear to me there had to be some response both to the violence itself and the racism, and also to the very disappointing response of the police who were slow in coming and also didn’t detain a single one of the people who went on a rampage,” she said. Wharton called on the police to make an example of the fans they arrest by giving them strong punishments or even jail time.

On Sunday, six days after the riot and after widespread public outcry, police announced they were starting an investigation. An Arab cleaner at the food court said on Wednesday that it took over an hour for police to arrive during the riot after they were called. Jerusalem Police spokeswoman Shlomit Bajshi said no arrests were made because by the time police arrived the rioters had dispersed.

Read the full story here

Related Content

Breaking news
August 21, 2018
U.S. State Department thanks Germany for admitting former Nazi collaborator