Aharonovitch says migrants a threat, but incitement harmful

By JPOST.COM STAFF
May 24, 2012 13:51
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Public Security Minister Yitzhak Aharonovitch said Thursday that while the growing number of African migrants in south Tel Aviv is a "terrible social threat," public figures and politicians must be responsible and refrain from words which might incite violence.

Aharonovitch's comments came after a protest against African migrants in south Tel Aviv Wednesday night became violent, with 17 people being arrested and two Sudanese nationals lodging complaints with police that they had been assaulted by the mob. The demonstration was attended by Likud MK Danny Danon, who heads a Knesset caucus supporting the immediate deportation of African migrants.

"What we saw yesterday can get worse tomorrow, we all must take responsibility, there is a problem and we must deal with it," Aharonovitch said at a conference in Tel Aviv on Thursday.

The public security minister said that some 700 migrants were infiltrating Israel from Sinai each week. He said that a smuggling network, earning its handlers thousands of dollars was responsible for bringing the migrants from Sudan and Eritrea to Israel.

Aharonovitch partially blamed the large numbers of infiltrators on the fact that a Border Patrol unit on the border had been removed. He also lamented the police's OZ Unit, responsible for handling the migrants, with not doing their job effectively.

Read full story here.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 13, 2018
CNN sues Trump administration over revoked credentials of reporter

By REUTERS