Amnesty: Israel should not displace Beduin

By REUTERS
February 8, 2012 13:39

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Human rights group Amnesty International on Wednesday called on Israel to cancel plans that would displace 2,300 Beduin from the West Bank.

"Thousands of Beduin living in some of the most vulnerable communities in the West Bank are facing the destruction of their homes and livelihoods under an evacuation plan," ” said Ann Harrison, interim Deputy Director for Amnesty International’s Middle East and North Africa Program.

Amnesty said that last week's verbal promises by military officials, saying they would not implement pending demolition orders in Khan al-Ahmar, are insufficient.

Israel says many of the structures in these communities were built illegally, without required permits.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
October 21, 2018
Netanyahu: Khan al-Ahmar will be evacuated.

By JPOST.COM STAFF