Australia is considering a third request from the United States to resettle Chinese Muslim detainees from the Guantanamo Bay military prison in Cuba, the country's foreign minister said Sunday.
Australia twice rejected such appeals last year from former President George W. Bush.
The current request - the first from President Barack Obama's administration - is to resettle 10 detainees who are Uighurs - Muslims from northwestern China - who have been in Guantanamo Bay for more than six years.
The Uighurs were also the subject of Bush's two requests. Smith said Bush made the last appeal in December to resettle 17 Uighurs, which was rejected in January on immigration and security criteria.
Foreign Minister Stephen Smith said the Australian government would "consider these on a case-by-case basis" because of the country's strong relationship with the United States.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>