Bahrain delays verdict in protest leaders' retrial

By REUTERS
August 14, 2012 16:26

DUBAI - Bahrain on Tuesday delayed until next month a ruling in the retrial of 20 men convicted of leading an uprising last year, lawyers said, a case under scrutiny from US officials keen for acquittals to help restore calm in a regional ally against Iran.

Bahrain, where the US Fifth Fleet is based, has been in turmoil since a protest movement dominated by majority Shi'ite Muslims erupted in February 2011 as part of the wave of popular revolts against repressive dynasties across the Arab world.

The 20 men - including seven being tried in absentia - are believed to be among hundreds who an international rights commission assessed in November had been tortured during a period of martial law imposed to help quell the uprising.


Related Content

Breaking news
May 22, 2018
Report: Lebanon PM Hariri says decision taken to accelerate gov formation

By REUTERS