Ban Ki-moon: 'Disappointed' by continued building

By JORDANA HORN
September 27, 2010 18:54

NEW YORK -- Referencing the Quartet's statement last week as "the united call of the international community urging Israel to extend the settlement restraint policy," United Nations Secretary Ban Ki-Moon said Monday he was "disappointed that no such decision has yet been taken and concerned at provocative actions taking place on the ground."

In a statement, Ban said he " reiterates that settlement activity in the occupied Palestinian territory, including East Jerusalem, is illegal under international law, and urges Israel to fulfill its Roadmap obligation to freeze settlement activity."Ban also expressed his support for ongoing efforts to find a way to continue the peace talks in "an environment conducive to progress."

"This is the only route to a viable Palestinian state living in peace with a secure Israel," Ban's statement concluded.


Related Content

Breaking news
October 17, 2019
EU should toughen sanctions against Turkey - parliament head Sassoli

By REUTERS

Cookie Settings