Britons in Gaza aid convoy briefly kidnapped in Libya

By REUTERS
March 29, 2013 00:16
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

BENGHAZI, Libya - Five British nationals who were part of an aid convoy passing through Libya on the way to Gaza were briefly kidnapped by an armed group, and one was sexually assaulted, security officials said on Thursday.

The incident happened in the eastern city of Benghazi early on Wednesday morning and the group was released several hours later. They were now with the Turkish consul in Benghazi, Libyan security officials said.

"They were on their way to Benghazi airport when they were stopped shortly after passing a checkpoint manned by the national army. They were then led to a place where the crime happened," said a police official investigating the incident.

The official, based in Benghazi, said that one of the three women in the group had been sexually assaulted.

He said the group was part of a large convoy of cars taking aid to Gaza on a journey that had taken them through several countries including Morocco, Tunisia and then Libya.

It had intended to cross the border with Egypt but had not made it through the crossing. The official and Libyan activists said the five Britons had decided to return to Benghazi. Other convoy members were believed to be still near the border.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 16, 2018
Report: Saudi banks see no significant impact from lira depreciation

By REUTERS