Egypt: Largest opposition party leaves reform negotiations

By JPOST.COM STAFF, ASSOCIATED PRESS
February 10, 2011 15:52

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Egyptian government efforts to end the ongoing anti-government protests throughout the country suffered a setback Thursday as the country's largest opposition part pulled out of negotiations, Reuters reported.

The Tagammu Party said it was withdrawing from negotiations with Egyptian Vice President Omar Suleiman because the government had not responded, "to the minimum level of popular demands," according to the report. There was only one meeting between Suleiman and the opposition and no date had been set for another session.

The Muslim Brotherhood Tuesday calling the reforms proposed so far as "partial" and insisting that Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak must go in order to ease what it called, the anger felt by Egyptians who face widespread poverty and government repression.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 17, 2018
U.S. says no rebuilding funds for Syria until peace talks underway

By REUTERS