Egypt: Peace treaty doesn't obligate gas sales to Israel

By JPOST.COM STAFF
May 1, 2011 08:47

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Egyptian Finance Minister Samir Radwan on Sunday said that the peace treaty between Egypt and Israel "does not obligate Egypt to sell gas to Israel."

Radwan's comments came as Egyptian officials, including former president Hosni Mubarak, are being investigated for “squandering public funds” by selling gas to Israel at a price below global market rates.

Radwan was made finance minister in the final days of Mubarak's regime in late January, as the former Egyptian president shuffled his Cabinet in attempts to appease protesters calling for his ouster.

Last week, the Egyptian public prosecutor ordered Egypt’s former energy minister Sameh Fahmy as well as six other officials to be investigated on charges related to East Mediterranean Gas’s natural gas deal with Israel, which the new government said caused losses of more than $714 million, Reuters reported.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
October 16, 2018
Trump declares Saudi prince denies knowing what happened at consulate

By REUTERS