Egyptian court to rule on constitutional assembly on Oct. 2

By REUTERS
October 16, 2012 21:36

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

CAIRO - A court will rule on Oct. 23 on whether the assembly drafting Egypt's new constitution is legal, a judge said on Tuesday.

The case was brought by a group of liberal activists who say the 100-strong assembly is dominated by Islamists and is unfit to issue a constitution for all Egyptians.

The constitution is central to Egypt's transition from military-backed autocracy to democracy following the overthrow of veteran president Hosni Mubarak last year. But the drafting process has been dogged by fighting between Islamists and secular, liberal Egyptians.

The Cairo administrative court "decided to hold the case to be ruled on on Oct. 23," Judge Farid Nazeh Tanagho said.

A court ruling last April dissolved a former constitutional committee that was also led by Islamists.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 17, 2018
California searches for 1,000 missing in its deadliest fire

By REUTERS