Four killed in village attack in Ivory Coast

By REUTERS
June 12, 2012 23:24

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

ABIDJAN - Four people were killed in an attack on a village in western Ivory Coast not far from the scene of an ambush in which seven United Nations peacekeepers died last week, local residents and the UN said on Tuesday.

Gunmen entered Sieblo-Ouala on Monday night and continued their raid into Tuesday morning, attacking residents with guns and machetes. The village, near the border with Liberia, is located 12 km from the site of an attack on Friday that killed 18, including the UN soldiers from Niger.

"The initial toll we had was three dead and four wounded. Three others were kidnapped, including one who was later killed. So it's four dead," said Sylvie van den Wildenberg, spokeswoman for Ivory Coast's UN mission known by its acronym, UNOCI.

Ivory Coast said that last week's attack was carried out by Liberian mercenaries and Ivorian militia who crossed over from Liberia. Monrovia has not confirmed the claim but said it officially closed its eastern border as a security precaution.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 20, 2018
Singaporean company director charged for supplying luxury goods to N.Korea

By REUTERS