France carries out first Syria reconnaissance flight

By REUTERS
September 8, 2015 16:43

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

PARIS - France carried out its first reconnaissance flight over Syria earlier on Tuesday using Rafale fighter jets, the French Ministry of Defence said, as it extends its combat against Islamic State militants.

French President Francois Hollande announced on Monday that France would begin reconnaissance flights over Syria on Tuesday that would subsequently enable it to consider air strikes.

France until now has only taken part in air strikes against Islamic State in Iraq because it feared strikes against the group in Syria could strengthen Syrian President Bashar Assad.

An official at the French Ministry of Defence said Tuesday's mission was designed to gather intelligence on Islamic State and strengthen France's own ability to assess the situation in Syria.

"Similar missions could be carried out in the coming days," the official said.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
October 21, 2018
Saudi foreign minister says Khashoggi killing was 'huge and grave mistake'

By REUTERS