Hundreds protest SCAF in Egypt over 'Port Said Massacre'

By JPOST.COM STAFF
February 2, 2012 16:45
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Hundreds of Egyptians crowded streets in Downtown Cairo including the landmark Tahrir Square on Thursday to demonstrate against the circumstances that led to the deaths of 74 people in a riot following a soccer match in Port Said on Wednesday, Egyptian newspaper  Al Masry Al Youm reported.

The demonstrating Egyptians were largely angry with the country's ruling military council, who protesters claim have failed to provide adequate security to civilians, and have failed to improve on the oppressive regime toppled by protesters over a year ago. Those failures, protesters said, led to what Egyptians are calling the "Port Said Massacre."

Protesters chanted "Down down with the military council" and "the people want the execution of the marshal," the latter phrase directed at the Supreme Council of Armed Forces chief Field Marshal Mohamed Hussein Tantawi.

One demonstrator told the Egyptian newspaper that the tragedy in Port Said was masterminded by the army generals in order to instigate "civil war" between Egyptians, the suspicions many Egyptians hold of the military council that took power from ousted president Hosni Mubarak.

The protester cited other incidents, including a number of armed robberies, are fabricated attempts to undermine the success of last year's "revolution."

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 16, 2018
Trump says he 'easily' answered Mueller's Russia probe questions

By REUTERS