Woman dies in childbirth; Baby boy saved

February 6, 2015 03:13


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

A 29-year-old woman died early Thursday morning not long after her baby boy was delivered by cesarean section at Jerusalem’s Shaare Zedek Medical Center.

The woman, a medical student like her husband, arrived at the hospital in her 41st week of pregnancy complaining that she could not feel the fetus’s movements. Obstetricians induced delivery to save the baby. Within minutes, she showed distress after amniotic fluid from the womb apparently leaked into her bloodstream.

This phenomenon, which cannot be predicted or treated, caused clotting of her blood and the collapse of her bodily systems, according to a spokeswoman from Shaare Zedek.

Leading doctors from a variety of specialties rushed to her side and struggled to save her, but they did not succeed. It was her first delivery. The baby is being treated in the hospital’s neonatal intensive care unit.

The hospital immediately reported the tragedy to Health Ministry director-general Prof. Arnon Afek as required and conveyed their sorrow to the family.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 16, 2018
EU's Tusk calls on China, US, Russia not to start trade wars