Militant group claims suicide bombing in Syria

By REUTERS
May 21, 2012 11:08

DUBAI - A militant group claimed responsibility for a suicide bombing in eastern Syria last week that killed nine people and said attacks would continue, in a statement posted on the Internet on Monday.

The al-Nusra Front said it was behind the attack on Saturday which targeted military installations in Deir al-Zor. The authenticity of the statement could not immediately be verified.

"There was a limit to the ferocity of the dogs of the regime in Deir al-Zor at which they had to be punished, so the soldiers of the al-Nusra front undertook this mission," read the statement on an Islamist web forum.

"The blessed operations will continue until the land of Syria is purified from the filth of the Nusayris (Alawites) and the Sunnis are relieved from their oppression."

The uprising against four decades of Assad family rule has been led by Syria's Sunni Muslim majority, many of whom are resentful of a political and military elite dominated by the minority Alawite sect, an offshoot of Shi'ite Islam to which Assad belongs.


Related Content

Breaking news
May 20, 2018
U.S., China putting trade war on hold, Treasury's Mnuchin says

By REUTERS