Munich widow launches petition for memorial at Olympics

By GIL STERN STERN SHEFLER
July 2, 2012 17:46
1 minute read.

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The campaign to hold a minute of silence for the victims of the Munich Massacre at the upcoming Olympics in London is gathering steam, recently receiving the endorsement of German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle.

Now, the widow of one of the Israeli sportsmen killed in the 1972 attack carried out by Palestinian terrorists has launched an online petition in support of the initiative.

Ankie Spitzer, who was married to fencing coach Andre Spitzer, asked the public to sign the petition calling for a minute's silence to be held during the opening ceremony in London later this month.

"I have no political or religious agenda," she wrote on the Website www.change.org/minuteofsilence. "Just the hope that my husband and the other men who went to the Olympics in peace, friendship and sportsmanship are given what they deserve. One minute of silence will clearly say to the world that what happened in 1972 can never happen again. Please do not let history repeat itself."

So far the Olympic Committee organizing the Games has rejected such calls saying the venue was wrong. It said it would hold a memorial to the 11 killed Israelis at a separate event.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 18, 2018
Google says will appeal EU fine

By REUTERS