NATO: Concrete plans emerging for Afghanistan after 2014

By REUTERS
April 18, 2012 20:44

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

BRUSSELS - NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said on Wednesday that he saw an "emerging agreement" among the alliance's members on what role they would play in Afghanistan once that country's forces take charge of security by 2015.

Speaking during a meeting of NATO allies in Brussels, Rasmussen said a number of member states had already pledged the size of their financial contributions to help the Afghan government maintain security forces after 2014.

"I am very pleased that a number of allies announced today concrete financial contributions to Afghan security forces in the future," he told a news conference, without specifying which countries or the amounts pledged.

Addressing photographs that appeared in an American newspaper of US soldiers posing with the maimed bodies of dead Afghan insurgents, Rasmussen said: "I strongly condemn these photos and these acts... I hope there will be no spillover."

He also said NATO member Turkey has made no request for help in dealing with violence on its border with Syria, but that NATO was ready to consult on any security issues according to its rules.

Related Content

Breaking news
July 18, 2018
Nicaraguan police surround, attack anti-government stronghold

By REUTERS