Shin Bet: Terrorist freed for Schalit plotted W.Bank attack

By
April 17, 2013 18:31

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Security forces arrested a Palestinian man from Nablus on suspicion of plotting to carry out a terrorist attack, adding that he had been recruited in Mecca after meeting a terrorist released by Israel in 2011 in the Gilad Schalit prisoner exchange.

The suspect, Amir Brakhat, 24, had made the Umrah pilgrimage to Mecca, where he met Amir Dukan, a convicted terrorist from Nablus who had been released by Israel to Gaza, the Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) said.

Dukan offered Brakhat 60 thousand dollars in exchange for opening fire on Israeli traffic near Nablus, or hurling a grenade at the IDF checkpoint located in Hawara, the investigation revealed.

"Upon his return, Brakhat got in touch with Dukan and said he was prepared to carry out the attack. He tried to obtain a gun," the Shin Bet said.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 20, 2018
Britain to stop some aid for Syrian opposition in rebel-held areas

By REUTERS