The 14-centimeter-long handle of a toothbrush
that a woman in her 20s swallowed nearly two weeks ago was removed
Thursday from the duodenum in her small intestine before it was able to
cause any damage, according to Rehovot's Kaplan Medical Center.
institute chief Dr. Ehud Meltzer said that the very rare case was
apparently unintentional, as the woman wanted to cause herself to
The top of the brush broke off before she swallowed the handle.
In surgery, the Kaplan team managed to pull the handle back into
the stomach and then pull it out via her throat with the loop on a
She is recovering and in good condition.