Syrian artillery pound Damascus suburb forcing mass exodus

By REUTERS
July 25, 2012 04:17

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

AMMAN - Syrian forces on Wednesday fired artillery and rocket barrages at the northern Damascus suburb of al-Tel in an effort to seize the town from rebels, causing mass panic and forcing hundreds of families to flee the area, residents and opposition activists said.

The 216th mechanized battalion headquartered near Tel was bombarding the town of 100,000 people at the rate of one projectile every minute, and initial reports indicate that residential apartment blocks were being hit, they said.

Tel, located eight kilometers north of Damascus, fell into rebel hands last week along with several districts in the capital and on its outskirts after a bomb killed four of Syrian President Bashar Assad's top lieutenants.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
September 23, 2018
U.S. envoy Haley rejects Iran blame over parade attack

By REUTERS