Thousands stranded as strong typhoon nears Philippines

By REUTERS
May 10, 2015 05:28

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

MANILA - Thousands of passengers were stranded in seaports and some domestic flights were canceled as Typhoon Noul strengthened further before its expected landfall in the northeastern tip of the Philippines on Sunday.

More than 10,000 passengers and over 1,000 shipping vessels were stranded in various ports in the country, mostly along its eastern seaboard. Cebu Pacific canceled at least six domestic flights to northern Philippines.

Officials in northern Philippine provinces have alerted rescue units and positioned relief goods, as they prepared to move people away from low-lying and flood-prone areas.

"They are now ready there, but we will still augment, send reinforcement, so that they won't have any difficulty in case the size of the typhoon widens," Bonifacio Cuarteros, head of Cagayan province's disaster agency, said in a radio interview.

More than 11,000 residents were evacuated to temporary shelters in two towns around Mount Bulusan, a volcano in central Philippines that erupted twice last week, because of the danger of mud flows.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Breaking news
November 21, 2018
U.S.'s Bolton says will meet Brazil's Bolsonaro in Rio

By REUTERS