ISTANBUL - An earthquake which shook northwest Turkey on Thursday night killed two people and injured 79, Environment Minister Veysel Eroglu said on Friday.
One of the injured was badly hurt, broadcasters quoted the minister as saying. One of the dead was thought to have succumbed to a heart attack.
The quake, which had a magnitude of 5.9 according to Turkey's Kandilli earthquake observatory, struck at 1115 pm (2015 GMT) in Simav, 50 miles (80 km) southwest of Kutahya.
The US Geological Survey had initially recorded a 6.0 magnitude for the quake. There was a series of aftershocks.
Kutahya Governor Kenan Ciftci, who said on Thursday night one person died jumping from a building as the quake struck, said a total of three people had been killed.
Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>