U.S. B-52 bombers reach Middle East in message to Iran

The US said on Tuesday that a number of B-52 bombers would be part of additional forces sent to the Middle East to counter what the Trump administration calls "clear indications" of threats from Iran

By REUTERS
May 10, 2019 23:19
2 minute read.
A B-52H-175-BW(61-0036) Stratofortress taking off from Tinker Air Force Base, in 2014

A B-52H-175-BW(61-0036) Stratofortress taking off from Tinker Air Force Base, in 2014. (photo credit: Wikimedia Commons)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analysis from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

DOHA - American B-52 Stratofortress bombers sent to the Middle East over what Washington describes as threats from Iran have arrived at a U.S. base in Qatar, U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) said.

The US military said on Tuesday that a number of B-52 bombers would be part of additional forces being sent to the Middle East to counter what the Trump administration says are "clear indications" of threats from Iran to U.S. forces there.

Iran has dismissed the new US deployments, including of an aircraft carrier, as old news announced now to intimidate it through "psychological warfare," at a time when Washington is also tightening financial sanctions. The USS Abraham Lincoln is replacing another carrier rotated out of the Gulf last month.

A deputy head of Iran's Revolutionary Guards said that Tehran will not hold talks with its arch enemy the United States and that Washington "will not dare launch military action against us," the semi-official news agency Tasnim reported on Friday.


U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday urged Iran's leadership to sit down and talk with him about giving up Tehran's nuclear program and said he could not rule out a military confrontation given the heightened tensions between the two countries.

"No talks will be held with the Americans and the Americans will not dare take military action against us," Yadollah Javani, the Guards' deputy head for political affairs, was quoted as saying by Tasnim. "Our nation... sees America as unreliable."

A picture taken by US Air Force personnel stationed in Al Udaid air base and posted on the CENTCOM website showed two aircraft. The caption said: "B-52 Arrival. US B-52H Stratofortress aircraft assigned to the 20th Expeditionary Bomb Squadron are parked on a flight line May 8, 2019."

The media officer at Al Udaid, near Doha, did not immediately respond to a phone call and email requesting comment and details. CENTCOM is responsible for US military operations in the Middle East and Afghanistan.

Washington has tightened sanctions on Iran this month, eliminating waivers that had allowed some countries to buy its oil, with a goal of reducing Tehran's crude exports to zero. Iran has responded by scaling back some curbs on its nuclear program, although it remains compliant with a deal to restrict its nuclear activity which Washington abandoned a year ago.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

May 22, 2019
VOICES FROM THE ARAB PRESS: THE MULLAHS’ REGIME IS BOUND TO FALL

By MEDIA LINE