Ukraine: Nationalist leader who supported Nazis not a hero

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
January 12, 2011 13:25

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

KIEV, Ukraine— The office of Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych on Wednesday said that a court has annulled a decree to posthumously decorate a nationalist leader whose insurgent army supported Nazi Germany for part of World War II.

The announcement was likely to be hailed by Jewish groups in Ukraine and abroad who strongly condemned last year's decree by then-President Viktor Yushchenko bestowing the Hero of Ukraine award on Stepan Bandera.

Bandera was a leader of Ukraine's nationalist movement, which included an insurgent army that briefly sided with the Nazis before fighting against Hitler's forces and the Red Army.

Yanukovych's office did not specify which court made the decision or when, but said it upheld a decision last year by a regional court to annul the decree.

Related Content

Breaking news
August 20, 2018
Islamic State claims Chechnya attack without citing evidence

By REUTERS