Vatican says conclave could start before March 15

By REUTERS
February 16, 2013 14:14

ROME - The Vatican said on Saturday that the conclave to choose the successor to Pope Benedict could start before March 15 if enough cardinals are in Rome to elect him.

Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi said Church rules which regulate the timing of conclaves could be "interpreted" differently this time because of the unique circumstances of Benedict's historic resignation.

He had said earlier that the conclave would start between March 15-20 according to existing rules. But he said on Saturday that events could move more quickly since the Church was dealing with an announced resignation and not a sudden papal death.


Related Content

Breaking news
May 25, 2018
Dozens of Palestinians injured by Israeli security forces in Gaza protests

By REUTERS