HU student recovers after being treated for snakebite on Golan

By
May 2, 2016 21:59
1 minute read.
ZIV MEDICAL CENTER intensive care specialist Dr. Ivan Pashkilov yesterday examines Shaked Ben Ami

ZIV MEDICAL CENTER intensive care specialist Dr. Ivan Pashkilov yesterday examines Shaked Ben Ami as she recovers from a poisonous snakebite. (photo credit: ZIV MEDICAL CENTER)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Hebrew University law and social work student Shaked Ben Ami, 27, is improving after being bitten on the foot by a poisonous viper during a trek on the Golan Heights on Sunday.

She already started vomiting in the Magen David Adom ambulance on the way to Safed’s Ziv Medical Center and was unstable, but her condition improved after treatment with anti-snake serum at the hospital’s intensive care unit.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The warmer-than-usual temperatures in the last two months have awakened snakes from their winter-long slumber. The hospital previously treated for snakebite a 10-year-old boy who was traveling with his class near Rosh Pina. There have been years in which more than 50 children and adults were bitten by snakes.

Hospital doctors said that only emergency rooms have serum to neutralize the effects of snake venom. The victim must be taken immediately to the hospital with as little body movement as possible and remain calm, because a rapid heartbeat causes the venom to spread faster. Never cut the skin around the wound to try to remove the poison.

Experts advise travelers to always wear closed shoes or high-top boots, walk on designated paths, not to pick up or move rocks and to set up tents on well-lighted spaces that are clean of rocks and thorns.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

MDA ambulance
September 17, 2018
On high alert: Emergency services brace for Yom Kippur

By EYTAN HALON