Jerusalem teen falls five meters while taking 'selfie'

Hadassah neurosurgeons perform successful, four-hour operation on 14-year-old boy.

July 9, 2015 18:27
1 minute read.
 intensive care unit.

Door of pediatric intensive care unit.. (photo credit: HADASSAH MEDICAL ORGANIZASTION)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief


A 14-year-old boy who took photos of himself (“selfie”) at the Lifta stream outside Jerusalem fell five meters when the rock he was standing on disintegrated and was rushed to Hadassah University Medical Center on Thursday in serious condition.

Hadassah said the boy, whose name was given as Yosef and lives in the capital’s largely ultra-Orthodox Ramot quarter, underwent complicated surgery by neurosurgeons and experts in maxillofacial and plastic surgery. His mother said the boy broke the bones in his forehead. “We hope for the best,” said the mother, who warned him to be careful before he went to Lifta.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

His older brother Michael said: “His friends saw him doing a selfie and turned their heads for a moment. When they turned around, he wasn’t there, and they didn’t understand what had happened.”

Senior neurosurgeon Dr. Emil Margolin added: “The injury was serious, and damage to his skull is significant. The operation was complicated and took four hours. But we think he will recover without complications,” he said. Yosef is now stable and in moderate condition and not connected to a respirator or anesthetized.

The mother issued a warning to young people and their parents -- that climbing to get the perfect angle for a selfie is dangerous. Stop doing these crazy things. First think about safety. Take care of yourselves,” she begged. “If not, your families will cry afterwards.”

Numerous institutions around the world have barred selfies because of harm they may cause.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

Workers strike outside of the Teva building in Jerusalem, December 2017
December 18, 2017
Workers make explosive threats as massive Teva layoff strikes continue