Barak: Israel may seek additional $20b. in US defense aid

Defense minister in interview: Aid will be used to guard from potential threats in light of changes, upheaval in MidEast.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
March 8, 2011 08:44
2 minute read.
Barak

Barak 58 reuters. (photo credit: Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Israel may seek an additional $20 billion in US security assistance to help guard from the potential threats that could develop in light of recent changes occurring in the Middle East, the Defense Minister Ehud Barak told the Wall Street Journal in an interview published Tuesday.

Barak added that Israel should not fear the regional changes, or risk the opportunity to make potential concessions to the Palestinians for peace.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Israel must keep eye on Egypt’s old guard
Egyptian press revels in newfound freedom
Barak
urges PM not to wait with peace initiative

Speaking with the Wall Street Journal, Barak reinstated fears in Israel that Egypt's new leadership could teeter away from agreements made in the 1979 peace treaty, and that Iran and Syria may not succumb to the moderating factors in the Arab world that are bringing "Arab societies towards modernity."

The defense minister, speaking on Iran, said it was too early to tell whether or not the Islamic Republic was exploiting the regional upheaval to its benefit, adding that before the revolts Arab leaders were already "starting to hedge their bets on who is the strongest leader here, Iran or the United States."


Defense analysts reported that Israel spends roughly nine percent of its gross national product on defense, capping $17 billion this year, of which US aid is $3 billion. While Israel faces no immediate threat, Barak told the Wall Street Journal, it would have to increase spending in the long-term.

Barak mentioned that he had spoken with Egypt's chief of the military council Field Marshal Mohamed Hussein Tantawi, who replaced Hosni Mubarak last month, and told him that the two countries shared responsibility "to avoid that our young people fight again." A different Egyptian leader, however, whom Barak did not name, said that Israel could expect a different attitude from the Egyptian government if Israel did not actively pursue peace with the Palestinians.

The defense minister told the Wall Street Journal that the Egyptian authority "told me 'We're going to have a really open election....Civic parties will hire advisers from the US and Europe and find immediately that what can bring them voters is hostility to America and Israel.'"

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

idf hebron
August 22, 2014
Palestinians throw Molotov cocktail at IDF checkpoint in Hebron

By KHALED ABU TOAMEH, TOVAH LAZAROFF