Barak supports Egypt’s maneuvers in Sinai

As massive operation to control Sinai launched, Defense Minister says he hopes the Egyptian military operation will restore law and order.

By
August 15, 2011 18:37
2 minute read.
Armed Sinai Bedouin

Sinai Bedouin guns pipeline_311. (photo credit: Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

Israel supports the Egyptian military operation in the Sinai Peninsula which it hopes will restore law and order to the territory, believed to be home to a growing number of al-Qaida terrorists, Defense Minister Ehud Barak said on Monday.

On Sunday, the Egyptian military deployed 1,000 soldiers and hundreds of armored personnel carriers in the Sinai with the aim of uprooting terrorist infrastructure and restoring order to the peninsula which was lost following the revolution in Egypt in February.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Egypt-Sinai-Gaza: The triangular threat to Israel
Egypt recruits Sinai Beduin to protect natural gas pipeline

One person was killed, and 16 others were arrested in Sinai on Monday as part of the raid launched by Egyptian troops and policemen, state television said, according to the French news agency AFP.

The Egyptian troops exchanged fire with the al- Qaida suspects wanted by authorities, an official said.

“Ten people suspected of involvement in the Sinai attacks were arrested,” the official said, adding that three automatic rifles and four grenades were also seized, according to AFP.

Barak was supportive of the military action. “Due to a shift in attention in Egypt, there has been a lack of order and control over the Sinai,” he said during a tour of a future IDF military base in the Negev.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


“The military asked to go in to restore its grip and we do not oppose it since it is something that is in Egypt’s interest and will hopefully lead to a drop in weapons smuggling [to the Gaza Strip].”

Last week, head of the Defense Ministry’s diplomatic-security bureau Amos Gilad visited Cairo to discuss a wide range of issues with the interim Egyptian government, including the operation in Sinai.

Israel gave Egypt approval to insert the troops into the Sinai in February to crack down on Beduin violence and to protect a pipeline that supplies natural gas to Israel. The deployment was made under the condition that the troops would withdraw the moment they are asked to by Israel.

Under the 1979 peace treaty, Israel returned Sinai to Egypt.

In return, Egypt agreed to leave the area demilitarized.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

idf hebron
August 22, 2014
Palestinians throw Molotov cocktail at IDF checkpoint in Hebron

By KHALED ABU TOAMEH, TOVAH LAZAROFF