Defense Ministry shuts down NGO seeking info on MIAs

Director says closure a blow to efforts to obtain information on missing soldiers; Defense Ministry: Organization wasn't effective.

By
January 2, 2012 22:20
1 minute read.
Defense Ministry shuts down NGO seeking info on MIAs

ron arad also new 248 88. (photo credit: Channel 10)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The Defense Ministry decided to shut down the Born to Freedom Foundation, a non-profit organization that had been working for the past eight years to locate missing Israeli soldiers.

The foundation offered a $10 million reward for information on missing IDF soldiers, including Ron Arad, Guy Hever, Majdi Halabi and and three soldiers who went missing in the 1982 Battle of Sultan Yacoub in Lebanon. It actively sought information in Iran and various Arab countries.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


RELATED:
Iran arrests 'Zionist spies' via Ron Arad website

Maj.-Gen. (res) Eyal Ben-Reuven, the outgoing director of the organization said that its closure was a fatal blow to Israeli efforts to obtain information regarding the fate of its missing soldiers.

"The efforts should continue. It is the government's responsibility to obtain information about the fate of its soldiers. This is our national obligation," Ben-Reuven said.

In response, the Defense Ministry released a statement saying that two committees set up by Defense Minister Ehud Barak had determined that the Born to Freedom organization was not effective in obtaining information regarding the fate of missing Israeli soldiers.

Related Content

idf hebron
August 22, 2014
Palestinians throw Molotov cocktail at IDF checkpoint in Hebron

By KHALED ABU TOAMEH, TOVAH LAZAROFF