IDF fears elections will again postpone multi-year plan

“Now that we are in an election year, the uncertainty surrounding the defense budget will likely continue,” senior defense official says.

By
May 8, 2012 04:35
1 minute read.
Benn Gantz, helicopter

Benny Gantz, helicopter_311. (photo credit: IDF Spokesperson's Office)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later

With elections in the air, concern is growing in the IDF that it will again have to delay its planned multi-year procurement plan until the formation of the next government.

Last year, Chief of Staff Lt.- Gen. Benny Gantz drafted the Halamish multi-year budget plan that was supposed to go into effect last summer but has been suspended pending a decision on the extent of cuts to the defense budget.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


The plan outlines development and procurement programs for the coming five years and was supposed to replace “Tefen” – the plan in place until 2012.

“Now that we are in an election year, the uncertainty surrounding the defense budget will likely continue,” a senior defense official said on Monday.

In January, the IDF suspended the implementation of the procurement plan after the Treasury announced cuts to the defense budget.

The Halamish plan is expected to continue the investment in IDF ground forces – started after the Second Lebanon War in 2006 – and will see the procurement of additional missile-defense systems – like the Iron Dome and the David’s Sling – as well as new interceptors for the Arrow ballistic missile-defense system.

In new systems, the Artillery Corps is looking to purchase new accurate rocket systems that would provide ground forces with standoff precision attack capabilities without needing to rely on the air force for air support.

JPOST VIDEOS THAT MIGHT INTEREST YOU:


The plan is also expected to lead to a dramatic boost in Israel’s intelligence-collection capabilities – with the procurement of new special electronics mission aircraft and unmanned aerial vehicles – as well as new defenses for critical military infrastructure from cyber-attacks by countries like Iran.

Join Jerusalem Post Premium Plus now for just $5 and upgrade your experience with an ads-free website and exclusive content. Click here>>

Related Content

idf hebron
August 22, 2014
Palestinians throw Molotov cocktail at IDF checkpoint in Hebron

By KHALED ABU TOAMEH, TOVAH LAZAROFF