PM: Israel will take ‘stronger action’ to stop rockets

Netanyahu says at cabinet meeting that policy is to "use force in order to restore security and quiet to the residents of the South.”

By
June 24, 2012 12:27
1 minute read.
IDF soldiers near Ashkelon search for rockets

IDF soldiers near Ashkelon search for rockets_370. (photo credit: Amir Cohen/Reuters)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu warned Sunday that the IDF would take stronger action if need be to stop the current round of rocket and missile fire on the South.

Netanyahu, speaking only briefly about the rocket fire at the start of the cabinet meeting, said, “The IDF is taking strong action against those who are attacking us, and it will take even stronger action if need be.”

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.




The prime minister, who has been very cautious in his public comments since the dramatic uptick of rocket fire last week, said “our policy is to use force in order to restore security and quiet to the residents of the South.”

Netanyahu then moved to discuss the issue of the African migrants, saying that another plane will leave for South Sudan on Monday carrying deported migrants.

The first plane left last week amid great media fanfare.

Two additional planes are scheduled to carry South Sudanese migrants back to their homeland next week.

Netanyahu said that the deportations, fines levied against those employing the migrants, the rapid construction of the security fence and a new policy that any infiltrator will be taken to detention rather than to Tel Aviv has begun to “reverse the trend.”

Nevertheless, Foreign Minister Avigdor Liberman said last Monday after the first plane left carrying some 120 South Sudanese that since the beginning of the campaign to deport the South Sudanese on June 10, 120 migrants have been deported, while another 504 have entered the country, including 70 migrants on the day that the first plane for South Sudan took off.

Related Content

idf hebron
August 22, 2014
Palestinians throw Molotov cocktail at IDF checkpoint in Hebron

By KHALED ABU TOAMEH, TOVAH LAZAROFF