Report: Hamas withdraws Gaza rocket prevention force

Hamas rocket prevention forces posted near border with Israel withdrawn to protest the latest escalation of Israeli attacks in Gaza.

By JPOST.COM STAFF
February 2, 2014 22:29
Hamas

Hamas security forces.. (photo credit: REUTERS)

 
X

Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user experience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Report and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew - Ivrit
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again



Hamas has withdrawn its security force responsible for preventing rocket launches targeting Israel from the Gaza Strip, AFP reported on Sunday.



Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.


"The field forces that are posted near the border with Israel were withdrawn yesterday evening to protest the latest escalation and Israeli attacks against Gaza," a security source told AFP on condition of anonymity. 



The special rocket prevention force that was withdrawn consisted of 600 people, the source said. Regular Hamas security forces remained stationed along the border with Israel, according to the source.   

Last month the IDF reported a dramatic increase in terror activity originating in Gaza during the month of January.



Fourteen rockets landed in southern Israel, and five were intercepted by the Iron Dome missile defense system as they were approaching the area surrounding Ashkelon in the first month of this year.

Hamas announced last month that it would never accept a two-state solution or give up “one inch of the land of Palestine.”



Its announcement came in response to statements attributed to Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas to the effect that the Islamist movement that rules over the Gaza Strip had “authorized” him to agree to the establishment of a Palestinian state along the pre-1967 lines.

Hamas said it never gave Abbas or anyone else a mandate to agree to the two-state solution. 

Khaled Abu Toameh contributed to this report.  

 






Related Content

idf hebron
August 22, 2014
Palestinians throw Molotov cocktail at IDF checkpoint in Hebron

By KHALED ABU TOAMEH, TOVAH LAZAROFF