Security forces say they solved 2 terror stabbings

2 men charged with attempted murder for incidents earlier this year; one originally intended to murder a soldier.

April 9, 2013 18:24
1 minute read.
Man holds knife

Knife (illustrative) 370. (photo credit: Knife)


Dear Reader,
As you can imagine, more people are reading The Jerusalem Post than ever before. Nevertheless, traditional business models are no longer sustainable and high-quality publications, like ours, are being forced to look for new ways to keep going. Unlike many other news organizations, we have not put up a paywall. We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

As one of our loyal readers, we ask you to be our partner.

For $5 a month you will receive access to the following:

  • A user uxperience almost completely free of ads
  • Access to our Premium Section and our monthly magazine to learn Hebrew, Ivrit
  • Content from the award-winning Jerusalem Repor
  • A brand new ePaper featuring the daily newspaper as it appears in print in Israel

Help us grow and continue telling Israel’s story to the world.

Thank you,

Ronit Hasin-Hochman, CEO, Jerusalem Post Group
Yaakov Katz, Editor-in-Chief

UPGRADE YOUR JPOST EXPERIENCE FOR 5$ PER MONTH Show me later Don't show it again

The Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet) and police announced the solving of two stabbing terror attacks that occurred earlier this year.

In the first attack, on January 23, an Israeli civilian was stabbed and moderately injured at the Tapuah Junction in the northern West Bank.

Be the first to know - Join our Facebook page.

“On the same day, a suspect was arrested.

He confessed to carrying out the attack, and reenacted it,” security forces said.

They named the suspect as 23-year-old Mustafa Barghouti, of Beit Rima in the Binyamin region, and a student at the Nablus Al-Najah University. He was arrested by Border Police following a short chase.

“The suspect said he acted on his own accord, without accomplices, and that his initial aim was to murder a soldier,” security forces said.

During questioning, Barghouti “expressed no regret, and said he’d have no problem with the injured civilian dying from his injuries.”

Barghouti was charged on March 7 with attempted murder and carrying and manufacturing a weapon.

The second case involved a stabbing of an Israeli civilian on February 4 in east Jerusalem. The attack victim was lightly injured, as the knife was lodged in a prayer book in his shirt pocket.

On the scene, police arrested 28-year-old Samar Ahmed Mahmoud Matar, a resident of the village of Idna, in the South Mount Hebron region, and handed him over to the Shin Bet for questioning.

The suspect told the Shin Bet he had planned to murder a haredi man or a settler for three months, and entered Jerusalem illegally for that purpose several days before the attack.

He also confessed to weighing the possibility of building an explosives device and planting it on a bus carrying haredi passengers in Beit Shemesh.

“Matar, a Hamas member, was placed in administrative detention between 2009 and 2011 due to his activities in Hamas and plans to carry out attacks,” security forces said.

Matar was charged with two counts of attempted murder, membership in an illegal organization, contact with the enemy and manufacturing weapons.

Related Content

idf hebron
August 22, 2014
Palestinians throw Molotov cocktail at IDF checkpoint in Hebron